WHILE YOU ARE STILL IN THE HOSPITAL
- Following surgery, your child will be encouraged to drink clear liquids when he/she is fully awake.
- He/She will be discharged home from the hospital when tolerating fluids without vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are common reactions to the anesthesia for 24 hours.
- Do not worry if you see a little blood spotting in the diaper or underwear. You may notice a little blood tinged urine. This is to be expected for several days.
UPON YOUR ARRIVAL HOME
- You may feed your child juices, Jello and clear broth for the first postoperative day/evening. You may gradually start him on regular solid foods that evening.
- A regular diet may be resumed the next morning.
- You may notice a little blood tinged urine when your child urinates. This is to be expected and may last for seven days.
- Your child may experience burning with urination for the first few postoperative days. Placing him/her in a warm bath without soap will help relieve these symptoms. Let your child know that it is OK to urinate into the bathtub if it helps relieve his burning.
- Do not worry if you see a little blood spotting in the diaper or underwear.
- You may give your child Tylenol (acetaminophen) for any pain or discomfort.
- Your child may have been prescribed antibiotics by your doctor. Follow the instructions on the bottle.
Your doctor may have placed your child on a medication (Pyridium/phenazopyridine) to relieve some urinary burning. This will temporarily turn your child’s urine, saliva and tears orange. Take precaution if you wear contact lenses and are handling the medication.
- If your child has a temperature below 102 F give Tylenol as directed.
- For a temperature of 102 F or higher give Tylenol and please notify the doctor.
- Your child may resume all regular activities including gym unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
- School can resume on the next day if patient is comfortable.
Normal bathing and showering may resume on the first post-operative day.
Post-Operative office visits
Your child should be seen for a post-operative visit in 7-10 days unless otherwise directed by your surgeon. Please schedule an appointment by calling our office at 713-795-5160.
In case of emergency
Please contact our office at 713-795-5160.